How to Apply for a Permit

Applications for permits can be submitted in person or mailed. Checks must be made payable to Bloomfield Township:
Bloomfield Township Hall
c/o Building Division
4200 Telegraph Road
Bloomfield Hills MI, 48303-0489

Note:  Application fees are due at the time of submittal for all permit applications. Any application without payment will be considered incomplete and could delay the processing time. 

Payments can be made via check payable to Bloomfield Township, a money order, or online by credit card.

Minor Home Projects can be applied for online if you meet the following requirements:
The proposed plans must be attached with the application for permit.  Any exterior changes must include a site plan and if there is an active association please provide their comments.  The plans must be clearly legible when printed on a ledger size page (11” x 17”). These projects include items such as window replacements, siding, roofing, and basement water management system.

Electrical, Mechanical, Generator Use, Plumbing, Change of Occupancy can be applied for online via BS&A. Please see link for our brochure on how to apply for a permit on BS&A:

Apply for a Permit - Contractor

View permit information here.  Plan review is taking approximately 10 business days. 

Schedule an Inspection

Inspections can be scheduled online via the BS&A page. For more information on accessing online inspections, please see our Online Inspection Process Brochure.

Arrange an inspection time: Contact the Building Division between 7:00 a.m. – 8:00 a.m. the morning of the scheduled inspection to get a time frame from the inspector. You may have to leave a message and they will return your phone call. If a phone call is not made between that time, the inspector will arrange an inspection time based on their schedule for the day.   

To cancel or reschedule an inspection, call the Building Division at 248-433-7715. Cancellations/Rescheduling cannot be made online.

General Information About Permits 

Visit our Forms page for printable applications!

Permits are required for many types of jobs, including, but not limited to, the following:

  • New residential & commercial building construction
  • Additions, alterations or modifications to existing buildings
  • Sunrooms
  • Decks
  • Pools
  • Sheds
  • Fences
  • Air conditioning units
  • Generators
  • Pool equipment
  • Play structures
  • Satellite dishes or communications towers
  • Retaining and screening walls
  • Roofs
  • Chimney repair
  • Siding and gutter replacement
  • Signage
  • Window and door replacement
  • Driveway gates
  • Residential & commercial demolition

Other Permits

  • All indoor and outdoor electrical work requires an electrical permit
  • All indoor plumbing, water services, sanitary sewer services, storm sewer services, sprinkling systems and sump-pump installations require a plumbing permit
  • Any work relating to heating, cooling and ventilation systems require a mechanical permit.

Permit Approval

  • Generally, construction plans and other documentation are necessary for review approval prior to the issuance of a permit.
  • Applications for permits may also require approvals from Subdivision or Homeowners Associations prior to issuance.
  • Some permits may require approvals such as a variance from the Board of Appeals, or from other Oakland County agencies for soil erosion control, septic fields, well, and driveway culverts. The applicant is responsible for obtaining these approvals.
  • Soil erosion measures and construction drives must be installed and inspected prior to permit issuance.

FAQ About Permits

1. When must I apply for a Building permit?

New residential and commercial construction, demolition, accessory structures, any interior renovations which involve the removal/addition of walls, gypsum board, kitchen remodel, and any construction to structures greater than a $50 value require a building permit.

2. When do I need to contact my Subdivision Association?

Prior to application for a building permit, we suggest that you become familiar with the subdivision deeds, conditions, and restrictions that may apply to your residential project, as these restrictions may be different than those covered under the Township Zoning Ordinances and state building codes. Your deed restrictions are privately regulated and enforced by your subdivision association and not the Township.

3. The building department requires three (3) sets of plans for new residential construction, additions, and renovations. What constitutes of a set of plans?

Residential building plans with livable square feet of 3,500 square feet or greater are required by the State of Michigan to be signed and sealed by a state licensed Engineer or Architect. Building plans should be dimensioned and include the following:

  • surveyed plot plan
  • foundation plan
  • floor plans
  • elevations
  • a dimensioned cross section calling out materials and sizes.

One set of submitted building plans are required to have subdivision association approval (if applicable) before a building permit is issued. All commercial building plans must be sealed and signed by a State licensed Engineer or Architect.

4. What time frame should I allow for a building permit to be issued?

Please allow up to two weeks for a review of the submitted building plans. If revisions are requested for further review, the revisions will be reviewed in the order they are received. Commercial plans need to be reviewed by all the trades and the Fire Marshal; therefore please allow for an additional two weeks.

5. As a homeowner, may I apply for a building permit?

Yes, however the permit holder is responsible for the work to be constructed in compliance to the codes and a Homeowners Affidavit must be signed. If a state of Michigan licensed builder is hired by the homeowner, then we recommend the permit be issued to the licensed builder.

6. Can I start work without a permit being issued?

Starting work without a permit is a violation of the State Construction Code and Township Ordinance.

7. I want to replace my driveway. Will I need a building permit?

Yes, new driveways or enlarging an existing driveway require a building permit. Walkways and patios on grade do not require a permit. There is a Driveway Information Packet available online.

8. Do I need to apply for a permit in person?

Applications are accepted in-person or by mail, however, all licensed contractors and builders need to provide photo identification such as driver's license and current Residential Builder's Board State license upon registration with the Building Department. Electrical, Mechanical, Generator Use, Change of Occupancy or Plumbing applications can also be applied for online on the BS&A website.