All applications must be submitted to the Chief’s Office between the hours of 7:00 AM - 5:00 PM Monday - Thursday.
Fire Employment Application
BTFD Firefighter / Paramedic Recruitment
The Charter Township of Bloomfield is establishing an eligibility list of future openings for the position of Firefighter/Paramedic. The Charter Township of Bloomfield is home to 41,000 people. Its 26 square miles are distinguished by rolling hills, winding roads, and scenic lakes and streams. Located in Oakland County, Michigan, Bloomfield Township is within easy reach of the area’s major thoroughfares and expressways. It provides a full range of public services, including its own full-time fire and police departments and road, water & sewer divisions.
Bloomfield Township Fire department responds out of four (4) strategically placed fire stations and answers over 5,000 emergency calls for fire, EMS, rescue, motor vehicle accidents and hazardous materials spills each year. As the Bloomfield Township Fire Department continues into the future, our goal is to be the organization of choice that prides itself on being proactive, efficient and exceptionally effective in the delivery of our service to our customers.
Bloomfield Township faces the same financial challenges other communities are facing but has developed a five-year strategic plan to manage the situation. Standard & Poor’s recently noted the Township’s strong record of good management when it upgraded its bond rating to AAA, the highest rating a municipality or even a corporation can achieve.
Firefighter/Paramedic Candidate Qualifications and Hiring Requirements
In order to apply, Applicant must:
- Be 18 years of age or older
- Have NO Felony Convictions
- Be enrolled in, or have completed Michigan Firefighter 1 and 2 course
- Be currently enrolled in, or have completed State of Michigan Paramedic Class
- Have High School diploma or equivalent
- Be a citizen of the United States or a resident alien with the right to work in the United States
- Possess and maintain a valid motor vehicle operator’s or a basic commercial driver’s license and have an acceptable driving record
At the time of final interview and hiring consideration, Candidate must possess:
- State of Michigan Firefighter 1 & 2 Certification
- State of Michigan Paramedic or National Registry EMT-Paramedic License
- Minimum 60 credit hours from accredited college / university (Credits from EMT or Paramedic education may be used to fulfill the 60 credit requirement.)
- Successful passing of the Conference of Western Wayne (CWW) Firefighter Testing Program, Written and CPAT (Empco written may be substituted for Western Wayne written).
- Candidates must also pass drug screening, background investigation, psychological exam, multiple oral interviews and post offer physical
Starting salary of a Firefighter/Paramedic begins at $43,502.23, in addition to annual food and clothing allowance and holiday pay. Top pay of $74,765.94 in addition to, annual food and clothing allowance and holiday pay (Overtime available). Benefits include Medical, Dental, Vision, 401A, Retirement Health Savings, 457, Life Insurance, FSA, Short/Long-Term Disability, and Tuition Reimbursement. (Based on current 2016 Collective Bargaining Agreement).